Fern. 

 

The culmination of all of my hard work within the General Assembly class. It started with a few nagging problems that I had in terms of finding out what to do in the beautiful but bustling City of New York. There are an overwhelming amount of activities, and I am about as indecisive as they come. I sought out to fix this problem with my final project at GA through a filter-based event aggregation app. 

My primary goals were simple, to create this event aggregation app that follows these three rules:

Goals

 
Goals.png
 

Competitive Analysis

The first step in accomplishing my goals was to find out who my competitors were and what they did well. I found a series of viable competitors and recorded all of their features, and then zeroed in on the two best performers in the industry, dissecting what their strengths and weaknesses were. 

This competitive analysis built up a solid baseline of the industry standard features, but of course I had to dive deeper. I needed to know exactly what my users needed and wanted that these apps didn't have. The only way I could figure this information out was by directly asking my target demographic.

 

 

Surveys

I conducted surveys through Typeform, sending it through various social media (and even in person) to an eventual audience of over 50 people within my target demographic.  The survey can be found hereThe findings very conclusively displayed that there was a need for my app idea, as can be seen in the results diagrams. I was able to pinpoint users specific pain points in regards to current event apps on the market, and this helped give me a better understanding in developing my personas. 

 

 

Personas

 

These personas were developed solely with the user in mind. I initially created a spectrum of potential users who I knew would be using my app the most. I then interviewed real people that lied within this spectrum to garner a better understanding of their motivations, how they think, and what they need from this app. I found patterns in what people were looking for and how they behaved, and I created these two personas that I felt best covered the spectrum of my user base. After this research, I was able to start building up my features and prioritizing them. 

 
 

Feature Prioritization

I was able to build up this core feature list along with prioritization from the aforementioned competitive research, as well as my extensive interviews and persona creation. As displayed, the features were sorted from nice to have to essential, and from low effort to high effort. Building up this list gave me an easy way to start simple wireframes that didn't leave out any of the must-haves, and covered the full but core functionality of my app, aka the minimum viable product. Before I started wireframing however, I wanted to solidify my understanding of the users traversal through my app, so I developed flows. 

 

User Flows

I created a FULL user flow of all interactions throughout my app, and then followed up with a much simpler solution showing the core flow of a typical user to make sure that that process is as efficient as possible. 

 

Wireframes

 

There were many iterations of wireframes developed for this app, ranging from initial rough hand-drawn sketches that were paper prototyped to low fidelity wireframes. With the time scope allotted, I was able to reach mid-fidelity wireframes as displayed, which were then used for final user testing. 

 
 

Prototype

 

The final stage in the User Experience process is actually an ongoing process of prototyping, wireframing, and iteration. Here is the last prototype iteration I reached before the end of my time at General Assembly.